The Stubblefield's

Our family is going through so many exciting changes right now! We hope you enjoy keeping up!

Saturday, September 02, 2006

A Four Year Old's Mental Picture of God

The conversation goes a little something like this:

Peyton- Mommy where does God live?

Mommy- What do you mean? (I have learned that this has to be the first answer to the big questions kids ask. Last week she asked the all dreaded "Where do babies come from?" and I said "What do you mean?" She said "Do they come from the doctor?" I simply said "No, they some from God." She looked at me and smiled and said O.K. This topic, however, needed much more explanation.)

P- I mean He doesn't live on earth like me, right?

M- Well not really, He lives in heaven but we can talk to Him like He is right next to us.

P- Why?

M- Well.... (I am stuck at this point. I am almost certain I know what she is going for so I answer hesitantly) Even though we can't see Him, He listens to us and still takes really good care of us.

P- Like you take care of me and Daddy takes care of you.

M- Yes.

P- Where's heaven?

M- Umm.... Most people believe that heaven is up in the sky, but nobody really knows.

P- You mean like where the birds live?

M- No really high up, even past the stars.

P- Umm (the wheels are really churning now) I can't see Him so how can God hear me?

M- That's a hard one honey, but even though we can't see Him, He is everywhere all the time and He can hear everyone.

P- What about when I whisper; can He still hear me?

M- He can even hear when you think something and don't say it out loud.

P- Why?

Now at this point the questions are getting a tad bit tiresome so I cop out and say...

M- Because He has really big ears

P- Oh. REALLY big ears? (long pause then she looks up, smiles and says...)O.K.

GREAT! Now she thinks He looks like Dumbo!

5 Comments:

At 9:33 PM, September 04, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

That's hilarious! Look at you practicing a little theology! I used to ask my parents all kinds of crazy questions when I was little. My favorite was, "Why is the moon following us?"

-TH

p.s. sorry to post anonymously, for some reason I couldn't post the other way.

 
At 9:38 PM, September 04, 2006, Blogger Unknown said...

For some reason I screwed it up by updating something...no one can post...frustrating

 
At 10:16 AM, September 05, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

This really made me laugh. I love it. Oh the questions you will be ask. She reminds me more and more of you, although I am not sure where she gets her stubborness. Love you all! Mom (harleyrider)

 
At 8:02 AM, September 07, 2006, Blogger Deborah stubblefield said...

This sounds just like a little boy I knew who was full of questions! If we weren't talking continously, he would say "Mommy, why are we being quiet?"

 
At 1:37 PM, October 11, 2006, Blogger Kimberly Christian said...

Ha ha ha!! This is SO your family! I love it!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home