The Stubblefield's

Our family is going through so many exciting changes right now! We hope you enjoy keeping up!

Tuesday, August 29, 2006

Two things no one should ever live without

Have you ever eaten at a Mexican restaurant and said to the person sitting next to you "I really wish I had this salsa recipe; you can't buy it like this in a store." I did many many times until one day my very observant mother-in-law called to tell me the good news. Deborah and Terry were eating at their favorite Mexican restaurant in Birmingham and noticed the secret formula written on the wall! The entire family and anyone else who has had tacos at my house now know how to make it. So for the rest of you here is the easiest and cheapest way to get a REALLY great chip dip.

2 28oz can tomatoes diced (yes, canned!)
½ cup jalapeño peppers pickled (this make it pretty spicy- I use less)
1 ½ tsp salt
1 ½ tsp dried garlic or 3 tsp fresh garlic
½ tsp ground cumin
½ bunch cilantro chopped (this is my favorite ingredient so I use more)

Blend if you want a puree like the restaurant or use a food processor if you like to see tomatoes.

My second favorite recipe is one that we found from a website that (http://www.recipegoldmine.com/) specializes in copying common restaurant menu items. Carrabba's Bread dip mix is, in my opinion, even easier than the salsa to make at home. Now for you Florence people, Ricatoni's copied from Carrabba's so it’s the exact same. Believe me you will never eat bread at home without it.

1 T. crushed red pepper (maybe a tad less)
1 T. black pepper
1 T. dried oregano
1 T. dried rosemary
1 T. dried basil
1 T. dried parsley
1 T. garlic powder
1 T. minced garlic
1 tsp. salt

Grind together. (I use a mortar and pestle, but a bowl and the back of a fork will work just fine.)You know the rest... Put however much you like in a small bowl. Pour extra virgin olive oil over and mix together. Use French, Italian, or any other bread for that matter, for dipping.

1 Comments:

At 8:24 PM, October 05, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh my gosh.....I just made that salsa and I think I ate my weight in it. It was sooooo good....that it's all I ate........YUM!! My boys loved it too....they are big "mezizan" fans (as Grant says). Thanks my Jen!! ~Leslie

 

Post a Comment

<< Home